Friday, November 20, 2020

Veteran's Day Tribute

 

Isaac Warren Yost Jr.

Nowhere does Veteran’s Day mean more than at the Postal Service – one of the nation’s top employers of military veterans. The men and women who served in our country’s military branches and then came to work for USPS have worn two uniforms – one in defense of our country and one as a trusted civil servant who continues to bind the country together through universal mail service.

 

Isaac Warren Yost Jr., a flat-sorter clerk at the Fort Myers Processing & Distribution Center, is an exception; he wore three military uniforms before joining the Postal Service in 1997.

 

“I joined the Army in 1951 when I was 18. I served 18 months and then joined the Navy in 1952,” he says. “I joined the Air Force in 1957.”

 

Yost also says his ancestors were very involved in the shaping of America.

“My great-great-great grandfather Liberty Browne was born on July 4, 1776 in Philadelphia,” Yost says proudly. “His father was on George Washington’s staff and served in the Army – 9th Pennsylvania Rifles.

 

“My own father was a gunner’s mate on the old Arizona,” he adds. “I wanted to serve, too, after growing up during World War II.”

 

Yost’s Air Force career took him all over Europe and the Far East, including Taiwan, Okinawa, Japan and Korea. He also served in Vietnam during the war.

 

“In July 1969, I got caught between two buildings, a bunker and a rocket attack. I remember being on the ground. It was so bad I came this close to getting a Purple Heart,” he says shaking his head. “A 122 rocket went off.

 

The Russian rockets used dynamite. Shrapnel was in my flak jacket. [The shrapnel] is now in a shadow box in my living room.”

 

After retiring as a master sergeant, Yost joined the Postal Service.

“I was 64. In the time I’ve been here, I’ve buried a wife, two daughters and a girlfriend,” he said. “If I hadn’t had the post office, I probably would have deteriorated away.

 

“I am thankful for my military career and for my postal career,” he says with a warm smile. “I have served my country my entire life.”