Monday, November 23, 2020

What is in a name?

 What is in a name?

 

Have you ever met anyone who shares your first name? What about someone with a similar last name? For two employees in different parts of the country, their names have brought them together in an unusual way.

 


Tracy Murry (above) was working as a Postmaster in Scottsville, VA, when she received an email from someone in Florida. “I couldn’t understand why I received the message, so I sent it back with a note, ‘I think you have the wrong Tracy.’”

 

When Murry became the Amherst, VA, postmaster five years later, she started to receive more errant emails. It got to a point where one of the senders asked Murry what she looked like: “Do you have red hair and are you white?” Murry responded, “No, I’m pretty sure I’m not the Tracy you are looking for.”

 

“There was one instance when I received an email from Florida and out of habit I responded, ‘received by mistake,’” says Murry. “I got a response back that said, ‘No, you didn’t. One of our employees is looking to transfer to Virginia.’”

 


The other Tracy Murray (above), Plant Manager of the Mid Florida P&DC, got a chuckle the first time one of the misdirected emails landed in her inbox. “I was a little taken aback and then kind of laughed about it. There’s another Tracy Murray out there only she spells her last name a little different, M-U-R-R-Y,” says Murray.

 

Murray says the last email she received from Murry wasn’t that long ago. “Every once in a blue moon, I’ll get a forwarded email.” Murray says she’s never heard of this happening to anyone else “but I’m sure it has.”

 

“Working at the post office in different capacities, I’ve never known another Tracy Murray and I’ve met a lot of people,” says Murray. “If someone were to shout out, Tracy Murray, yeah they all know me. It was ironic that she’s a postmaster because I spent 20 years in customer service. I loved being a postmaster.”

 

Murry was 24 when she began her postal career.

 

“I was 17 when I started working at the post office. I wasn’t even a month out of high school and I got in as a casual,” said Murray. 

 

Although the two women are located in different states and on different career paths, they also have a lot in common. Both women either served or are serving as a postmaster, they were Supervisors of Customer Service and both women have daughters.

 

Another thing they have in common is their appreciation for their careers: “Who would have thought I’d be postmaster someday of my hometown,” asks Murry. “I never thought in a million years I’d be a plant manager,” adds Murray.