Sunday, August 14, 2022

Thinking of becoming a Supervisor? USPS wants YOU!

 

Manasota P&DC Acting MDO Jessica Fisher

The U.S. Postal Service offers more than 2,000 different jobs, including supervisors. One of the best ways to progress in your career and get where you want to go professionally is to become a front-line supervisor.

 

USPS is looking to fill nearly 3,000 supervisor positions in customer services, distribution operations, maintenance operations, and transportation operations. It's as simple as expressing an interest to your immediate supervisor or going online to apply at www.usps.com/careers.

 

Two women who followed their dream of becoming a supervisor work at the Manasota Processing & Distribution Center (P&DC) in Sarasota, FL.

 

Jessica Fisher (above) started her postal career in 2013 and was encouraged to apply for a Postal Support Employee (PSE) position by her mom, a letter carrier for 22 years. 

 

"She basically laid it out by saying, 'You're going to work nights. You're going to work weekends. You're going to work a lot of hours. But the one thing I want you to do is to wait until you see your first paycheck," Fisher recalls. "If you think it's not worth it after your first paycheck, then whatever you decide to do from there is your choice."

 

Although Fisher worked six days a week and 12-hour shifts for the first two years, it didn't take her long to realize she liked the money but what she loved was her newfound career as a postal employee.

 

Fisher’s first step in her career path was to become a 204B – a supervisor in a temporary supervisory position. She worked toward her goals by being the best employee and expressing her desire to become a supervisor. "I wanted to be what I thought my supervisor should have been for me,” she said. "Anyone interested in becoming a supervisor should try.”

 

"We have the best plant manager, John McTigue, who pulled me up as a 204B years ago. There's something he told me that I'll always remember. He instilled in me as a supervisor that my greatest asset is my employees. I relate to the employees well. I can't do their job; they are the ones out there working. If I'm not treating them the way they need to be treated, nothing will get done."

 

Courtney Infanger (below) began her postal career as a PSE clerk in 2019. She was encouraged to make the career switch by a friend who works as a letter carrier in St. Petersburg, FL. "He would always talk about how much better it was at USPS compared to where we had worked together before – and he was right,” she said.

 

"I had no idea what the processing plant entailed until I got here, but I do enjoy working in the plant," added Infanger, who was elevated to an Acting Supervisor, Distribution Operations (SDO) in January.

 

She started letting it be known that she was interested in a higher-level position. She learned about the job opportunities at new employee orientation. "I remember they went through the pyramid of how the post office is set up, and I thought then that I wanted to move up. I was a supervisor at my previous job, so I wanted to eventually become one at USPS.”

 

"Being a supervisor differs from my role as a mail processing clerk in the sense that instead of just being responsible for my job performance, I am now accountable for 60 clerks during my tour,” she added.

 

She often gives advice to new employees who want to follow in her footsteps: “I tell them to have good attendance and learn as many different things as possible.”

 

When asked where she sees herself in three years, Infanger responded, "Hopefully, I will have a permanent supervisor position," she says.

 

Fisher, who is currently acting Manager, Distribution Operations (MDO), also has high hopes for the future. “I joke around about how I’m going to be the PMG someday, but right now, I have my sights set on becoming an MDO.”

 

Both women encourage all interested employees to apply for a supervisor position. It could be the beginning of a long successful career. 


Sarasota Acting SDO Courtney Infanger