Sunday, December 20, 2020

Holiday Spirit In Suncoast

 



Mid Florida P&DC Mail Processing Equipment (MPE) Mechanic Varonica Sambells-Mason (above) a 22-year USPS veteran, gets into the holiday spirit by sporting a reindeer hoodie.

 What do you like most about the holidays? “I like to see all of the packages when they come into the plant. It’s so filled up. And then I like to see the days when they are all gone. We know we did our jobs.”


Mid Florida P&DC Mail Handler Peter Mendala Jr. has worked five years for the Postal Service. Peak season is his favorite time of the year. “I work with great people, some of whom are really fun,” he said. “We get to listen to holiday music. The hours and overtime are nice, too.”

 Mendala also likes to wear festive hats during the holidays. He’s been building up a collection over the years, which includes a Christmas fedora and a shiny hat with glitter. He often hear comments such as “Love your hat,” “Great,” and “Good spirits.” But his favorite comment is, “Santa, what are you getting me for Christmas?” to which he responds, “Ho, ho, ho.”


St. Petersburg Crossroads Station Letter Carrier Jonathan Roberts, who began his Postal Service career six years ago, strives to bring joy to his customers during the holidays. “We are out delivering packages as early as six o’clock in the morning,” said Roberts, while wearing a Superman Santa holiday hat. “My customers will see me and ask, ‘What are you doing here so early?’ and I tell them, ‘I’m helping Santa gets these presents delivered before Christmas.’” He added, “Sometimes I really do feel like Santa Claus!”